Pella Christian High School offers international students a valuable Homestay (Host Family Boarding) opportunity. We place international students with host families who have strong ties to our school and community. The family environment provides numerous advantages for international students.
- Accelerated English acquisition in a total immersion environment
- Ongoing cultural adaptation and understanding
- Personal attention from a family
- Consistent communication about a student’s well-being between parents and the homestay family
Homestay placement is based on the student’s profile and preferences. All host families undergo a rigorous screening process which includes an application, background check, interview, references, and periodic in-home checks. Each family supports the mission of Pella Christian High School and is committed to providing a caring home environment for students from other countries.
The homestay includes:
- A bedroom and study area
- Three meals a day, including one meal at school during the week
- Transportation to and from school, extra-curricular and education-related activities, Des Moines International Airport, etc.
- Guidelines for students and homestay families that ensure clear expectations for daily living
- Ongoing access to program staff who arrange student placement in a host family and facilitate communication between parents, home stay families, and students