PCHS Service Program
Pella Christian Service Hour Policy
Effective for the 2013-14 school year all Pella Christian High School students will be required to complete a minimum of 10 hours of service per year.
In response to the great gift of salvation, freely given to us through Jesus Christ, Christians are called to live a life of service for God. We want all of our students at PC to experience the joy of serving others and although many of them already get these experiences through excellent youth group and family provided opportunities, others may need a little more prodding out of their comfort zone into new experiences. An individual service hour requirement may allow students to take ownership and explore service opportunities that meet their personal gifts and interests and the needs of individuals and agencies that can use assistance. Our ultimate goal is that Pella Christian graduates will make Kingdom Service a life habit.
1. Students will complete a minimum 10 hours of service per year.
2. Hours will be tracked by homeroom teachers and at the end of the school year will be recorded on the student transcript by the Registrar. Students are encouraged to turn in all service hours completed in a year and have them recorded by homeroom teachers. Recognition may be given to students with outstanding records of service throughout their high school career.
3. A list of pre-approved activities will be published and updated by the service committee. If a teacher questions the merit of a specific activity not included on the list they will submit the paperwork to the service committee for approval.
4. The service hour “year” runs from the first day of summer break through the end of Tulip Time in May.
Notes – students need to have 40 hours (4 separate activities) so they cannot accumulate all 40 hours in one school year.
- Hours counted on mission trips are “working hours” only (not travel, leisure or sleeping time)
- Service hour forms are available in the office or may downloaded from the school website.
- If an activity is not listed on the pre-approved list students must submit a pre-approval form which may also be picked up in the office or downloaded from the website.
Acceptable Service Hour Requirements:
Fundraisers that benefit others
Youth Group sponsored activities
Nursing Homes & Hospitals
Habitat for Humanity
Volunteer Camp Counselors
Yard Work for elderly or disabled (relatives excluded)
Managers for PC athletic teams
Worship Team at church
Sound technician at church
Volunteer head or assistant coach for community youth teams
Make up artists for grade school and community theatre productions.
Some examples of what is NOT ACCEPTABLE for service hour requirements:
1. Any service for which you get paid or receive some kind of tangible benefit.
2. Travel time spent to get to the place where you will provide a service.
3. Nursery or ushering at church.
4. Blood Drives at PCHS
Additional service opportunities not listed can possibly be approved by your homeroom teacher if requested prior to doing the service work.
Once your Service request is approved, then download the form below, fill it out and turn into the office.